Thursday, August 10, 2006

To Baku

You can find the strangest things sold next to the road. This obviously is still in Georgia, as Azerbaijan is predominantly Muslim and not to keen on pork.

In this beautiful kervanseray in Seki, I had the luck to be able to spend a night. I had been told you always had to make a reservation, but I managed to get the last available room without, just before a Swedish guy, just coming in after me.


I left Seki late in the morning, waiting for the rain to stop. Eventually I got on the way in the pouring rain. At times I was cycling down in 10cm deep water. In this picture the road has partly been destroyed. The Niva waiting almost was washed away crossing.

On the road to Qabala a man preparing dinner, sheep.




These guys took me into the mountains in their lada. The lada's seem to be capable of more than I expected. The road was often non existent, but still we managed to get through without having to push. They also helped me finding a hotel.






To get in Samaxi I had to climb a gruesome hill. It was not only that it was steep, also that it had rained and the mud was 5cm deep. I could only get up in my lightest gear, but still I got out of breath.

From Samaxi to Baku, had some empty, barren stretches and finally the sun came through, in spades.

No comments: