Monday, March 19, 2007

Sama sama

After staying an extra day in Duri I cycle to Dumai, the last destination in Indonesia. I buy a ticket to Melaka, Malaysia for the ferry for the next day. When I am in an internet cafe, a girl invites me to come with her to the school where see follows an English course. After chatting with some teenagers I am put for a class of 14 year olds to entertain them for one and half hours. Afterwards the teacher and older students present, convince me to return the next day and delay my ferry crossing to Malaysia with one day. At night I watch a concert of a band from Medan in the street of my hotel. When watching I meet a brother of the girls I stayed with in Duri, it is a small world. Before I go to sleep I recheck my Indonesian visa to be sure I do not overstay, with staying an extra night. To my surprise I find out I have to leave the next day, so I will not return to school the next day.

The boatride to Melaka is fast and as the rooms are usually airconned to refrigorator temperatures, it is now quite bearable. In the port I wait till everybody has disembarked before I go ashore. I feel a bit embarrased when the officials direct me to the front of the queue straight through border control. From there I cycle to the Sama sama guesthouse which was recommended by Marko, who I met in Maninjau. The guesthouse is full, but because Marko already is there and has forewarned my arrival I am allowed to stay and sleep in the communal room.

The guesthouse is tiny, it only has 7 rooms, but it contains interesting and nice people and is in the middle of the old town. I won't mind staying here for a while. Soon the biggest decisions in the day, become when and where to eat. There is a lot of variety in restaurants. I can choose between Indian, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay food. I am fortunate that I have very inefficient digestion so every day I can eat at all the cuisines, without growing a big belly, although I would not mind getting on a bit more weight.

The day that I will return to the Europe is set now, as I buy a plane ticket to Frankfurt for the 8th of April. I have not decided what I will do until then. Most likely I will spend most of my time eating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He BJ,

ik weet niet of ik enige symboliek achter jouw terugkeer op deze datum moet zoeken, maar 8 april is 1e paasdag

CU
Wilko

BJ said...

van symboliek heb ik weinig kaas gegeten al zou een boterham met kaas er wel in gaan.