Thursday, February 16, 2006

In god he trusts

In the evening I met Adam again on the top of the hotel, I had spoken with him before I went on my little trekking. He invited me to come along with him, to visit some fellow Quebecians in restaurant nearby. The food was excellent and the company as well. Played a game that very much looked like ‘mens erger je niet’, but was slightly more complicated, but not less frustrating. We played one game until 2, but did not finish it. Funny that I now never drink alcohol as the restaurants do not serve it. Lots of hasj though, but I do not smoke.

Next day I went with the bus to Fes. This is the cultural capital of Morocco. The medina is gigantic. Actually it is a bit to big for me, you have to walk such distances.When you get lost it takes so long before you know again where you are, that easily an hour has passed. Luckily I brought my compass. The tip I got from Adam to always walk up, when lost also works well, as at that end are the most ports.

Something really unexpected happened last night. Someone tried to convert me. That in itself is not so strange in a land of muslims, but someone, my roommate, tried to convert me to Christianity. I had told him that I did not believe in a god, although I was raised as Christian. He showed me parts from the bible to give proof of gods existence and to show why I need him. My opinion is that I can do without him, his was that I could not. We discussed about 2 hours, but he would not stop. The problem was that he was lying in the bed next to me. Even when I wished him good night he came with questions to prove me wrong. Eventually he shut up. He is not unfriendly guy though, but he is a professional converter and that prohibits him to talk about other things longer than 10 minutes.

No comments: