Sunday, February 26, 2006

Hatless

Arggh, I did it again. This time I accidentaly pushed a switch that cut the power to my pc, all my work gone. I should admit I have wisened up a bit, as I now save quite often, but apparently not often enough. As I began with earlier that I was not to enthousiastic to start updating my log, but the longer I wait the more work it will be, I now can confide in you that I have even less enthousiasm left. So bewarned readers, this most likely will not be a very good piece for reading. Fortunately not much happened since my last report, so it should not take me that long to type.

I left you in Ouarzazate and that is what we also did after a day, because there was not much to do, except for arranging a camel (dromedar) trek in the dessert (!), which is what we did. At 10 to 5 in the morning we arrived at the busstation to head for Zagora, so we were 10 minutes early, unfortunately our bus was 1 hour and 45 minutes late. Great start of the day. What I would do when I was late, I would try to make up for it, this is something they will not do here. They acted still as if they were half an hour early. Eventually we arrived in Zagora were we tried to get a grand taxi to MHamid our dromedar ride starting point. Finding the taxi was easy, getting it filled to the max was more difficult. After half an hour we had 4 passengers, still one shy, we agreed to split the cost between the 4 of us. In the end we, Fede and I, were the ones turning up for the cost, but what else is new. An other slight problem was that the other passengers did only want to go halfway of MHamid. We decided to leave anyway and deal with the problem when it happened. In the end there was no problem as halfway there were plenty of people to share a cab with us. Who would not, how often can a Morrocan share a cab with two fine western male specimen as we? Although all that went well, I was so unlucky to lose my Nepalese hat in one of the cabs or around it. When I found out in MHamid I searched the 2nd cab but to no avail. A day later in Zagora I visited the taxi stand but ofcourse no hat. If by any chance one of you sees a Moroccan wearing a big blue Nepalese hat, my hat, please retrieve it for me and I will be in your debt forever.

In MHamid we soon found our man and after handing over the Dirhams we were set to go. The dromedars were waiting, only our guide could not be found. After a lot of calling a little kid was found to lead us into the desert. We mounted the ships of the desert and followed the guide who was on foot. (My first disapointment) We first walked through a wasteland of sand and plastic bags (second disappointment) before we reached someting that resembled anything that I imagined to be desert. After an hour and a half we reached our final destination (third disappointment) and from here you could still see the village (fourth disappointment). Our little guide set up camp while we disapointedly climbed the highest dune in the neighbourhood to have a good look around us. While our little guide was busy, the dromedars were eating bread, which should have been served with our tajine. To illustrate how far we were from the inhabitated world, the kid used my phone to call a little friend to bring some new food. The desert bread delivery guy came within the hour and left, propably to visit some other clowns in the desert who also lost their meal to the dromedars. After watching a beautiful sunset and a good meal we went to sleep in the tent. At 6 (holiday is worse than working, I usually never get up so early let alone 2 days in a row) we got up to watch the sunrise. We were way to early and the horizon was cloudy anyway so I slept for 2 hours at the top of the dune. Had breakfast and then went back in a sandstorm to MHamid. Although my companion did not like it, I enjoyed the fact that you hardly could see anything and that finally the feeling came that I was in the middle of nowhere. After a long bus ride we came back to Ouarzazate, where still not much was happening. Some famous movies have been shot here though (viewers question nr1, name 3?)

The next morning, again early, we went to nearby Ait Ibn Hadou to watch a beatiful old village with kasbah. Although a bit polluted by a busload of tourists arriving just ahead of us, it was very nice and at the top of the hill quiet as the elder people, who seem to populate those busses did not have the stamina to climb up that far. Later that day we returned to Marrakech through the high Atlas which was hard enough because of the snow that had fallen during the night.
Essaouira was our next destination and the place were Fede and I would part (snif). He had to go back to Holland and I had to stay in Morocco, as I had burdened myself with this dreadful journey to Indonesia. I had hoped it would be possible to go east through Africa and then north to Turkey. This seems to be nearly next to impossible and it seems I have to go back to Europe first before I can head east. If anyone has a better solution please let me know. I prefer not to go back to Europe but stay in Africa.

After 2 nights in the relaxed beach town Essaouira (viewers question nr 2 name the famous movie shot here?) with its beautiful bastion facing sea, I have gone south again this time to the town Tiznit, which I most likely will change for Mirleft tomorrow, about 40 km away from here.

The people who answer both questions correctly before March 1, I will honour by sending them a postcard (If I know the address) Isnt that a great price?

1 comment:

BJ said...

Daan, Jimmy Hendrix en Bob Marly, ben ze niet tegengekomen overigens:-)