Monday, January 08, 2007

18 year old Chinese

The first thing that strikes me upon arrival on Langkawi is the well kept and modern looking terminal. It appears that Malaysia is a richer country than Thailand. The prices here are also considerable higher than in Thailand, but that might also have to do with the fact that I am in a very touristy place. In the terminal I try to retrieve some local currency from the ATM, but I am initially denied for lack of funds. Fortunately I am able to get a lower amount from the machine. With the help of a leaflet with the map of the Island I decide to go the west coast. I find a beautiful beach, but with almost only expensive places to stay. I manage to find a not to expensive room however. On the beach I meet the Thai family again I met earlier on the ferry. I get the impression the woman is trying to match me with her sister, but I can hold that off. She probably wants to flatter me, but in my view does not, when she guesses my age is 18. This is a new record, usually I am guessed to be around 26 or so, although I have a niece I had never seen before who estimated my age 19, but that was 2 years ago. Apart from people judging me much younger I am not infrequently guessed to be (partly) Chinese. Apprantly because of my eyes. So if it were for some people I am to be an 18 year old Chinese.

At night I go to a semi fancy restaurant and order red snapper, for 6Rm per 100gram. When after waiting a very long time I inquire after my meal I am soon presented with a fish. My knowledge of fish is not so great, but the fish seems to me not a red snapper, but I eat it anyway. The big fish tastes good and after finishing I ask for the bill. I am a bit startled when I see it, I am to pay 114 Rm, while I only have 100 on me. It also seems a bit high, it would mean a fish of more than 1.5 kg. Just when I tell them that I do not have enough money with me, my eyes fall on the name of the fish I am supposed to pay for. I turns out I have been eating a bull fish which is twice as expensive. I make clear I had ordered a redsnapper. They had made a mistake in the kitchen, they say, and I get away with half the cost, which is only fair. Still it is expensive enough.

The next day I hike to the top of one of the mountains, but the view at the top is disappointing. It is a bit misty and the trees and brushes on the top prevent a clear sight. I do see that in the northwest of the island is a nice beach and after descending I head there. I had hoped to find a little town, but the only thing I find is two resorts. I go through one of them and park my bike at the beach and go for a swim and do some reading. When the sun is about to set I take my luggage on my back and take up my bike and climb over 100 m of rocks followed by a walk through the rising water to a small island for the coast. Here I set up my mosquito net and gather dry wood. Before it is dark I make some instant cereal for dinner and after that I make my campfire. The only thing missing is some one to share it with, but apart from that it is perfect. The next morning I am only just in time to leave the island before the tide is to high, which would have me confined to the island for a longer period, unless I would have been saved by someone of the resort. The last night on the island I spend on a beach in the northeast. Again I make my campfire and all is well until I lay down under my net. Then I am attacked by dozens of little insects who go straight through the net. Although small they are very capable of biting/stinging. They are easy to kill, but usually the kill comes to late. The next morning I wake with over 40 red spots over my body, it looks like I have the measles. Fortunately the spots do not show long and do not itch much. With the boat of 14:30 I leave Langkawi and go to Penang.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny that people take you for a Chinese. Would that be grandma's genes, I wonder?
And who is the niece? Don't tell me she is Alma...

Anonymous said...

you look more like a 36 year monkey to me. Have a nice stay in indonesia.
good luck, Peter J, Adrie R and Martijn H and of course the incredible Tjeerdo